May 18, 2024

Twenty Books of Summer. Or, Looking Forward To Fulfilling This Year’s Reading Events from the Blogging World.

 


One of the best things about blogging sporadically, as I have been doing, is coming back to the beloved events which continue on each year. I have spent the most joyous evening comprising my list for 20 Books of Summer, which happily include books for other challenges, as well as books promised to review for publishers, and books I’ve simply been longing to open.



For Paris in July 2024, I’ve chosen to read:


The Postcard by Anne Berest



The Paris Novel by Ruth Reichl

and


Paris to the Moon by Adam Gopnik, which is a reread for me.


For A Year With John Banville, I’ve chosen to read:


The Sea by John Banville



For Reading Orwell 2024, I’ve chosen to read:


1984 by George Orwell 



And for Moomin Week I’ve chosen to read:



Moominsummer Madness by Tove Jansson

And now we come to books I’ve promised to review for the publishers who sent them to me, including:


youthjuice by e.k. sathue




Tasmania by Paolo Giordano







Catalina by Karla Cornejo Villavicencio





Women And Children First by Alina Grabowski


And for these books which have caught my eye and I’ve purchased on my own:


Her Side of The Story by Alba De Cespedes (because I loved Forbidden Notebook)


Long Island by Colm Toibin


The Hunter by Tana French 




The New York Trilogy by Paul Auster, as I have never read it and was saddened to read of his death on May 7, 2024 at age 77.

If you’ve been counting, this is only 19 books. The 20th will be the book of Revelation, last book of the Bible, in preparation for Bible Study Fellowship International this Fall. We will be studying this book during the 2024-2025 year, for which I am so honored to lead a group of women. 

And so, as my grandfather would say after finishing a hearty meal, “That oughtta hold you!” Indeed, I think it shall. Except, how will I wait until June to begin?


17 comments:

  1. Thank you for the reminder about the 20 Books of Summer. I love that challenge and will now make a stack of all the books I hope to read during that time. I'll be eager to hear your thoughts on the new Tana French book. I've heard mixed reviews about her books that aren't a part of the Dublin Murder Squad. I'm tempted to read all of those a second time and skip her newer releases. Happy reading, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister in law told me about The Hunter today; I hadn’t even known Tana French published another book! I didn’t like The Searcher very much. In fact, I can’t even remember what it was about! The Secret Place remains my favorite, but we’ll see what The Hunter Holds. So glad you’ll construct a list yourself; I look forward to seeing what you choose!

      Delete
  2. M, I've never heard of 20 Books of Summer, so I'm glad you mentioned it. I love your pile of books - there are quite a few of those on my TBR list, and I've read three of them and read half of one. I was thinking of The Paris Novel for Paris in July, too. And, I've been meaning to read more of Auster's works, so I'm glad you mentioned The New York Trilogy (an excellent read). I've been meaning to go through my books to declutter, and now I'm thinking it will give me the perfect opportunity to compile my own list of 20 Books of Summer. Wishing you a lovely Sunday! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Going through to declutter is a wonderful thing; in the process, you can find all sorts of treasures. (This weekend I found a little pamphlet one of my third graders wrote called The Book of Sex. He isn’t quite right, but it always makes me laugh.) Back to more important things: it seems I’m the only one who has t read The New York Trilogy! So, I’m eager to begin, and, I look forward to your list.

      Delete
  3. Oh this is a great list! Thanks for including a Banville and I'll be very keen to hear what you think of the Alba de Cespedes and the Colm Toibin. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU for hosting the Banville event; I have only read Mrs. Osmond, which I liked very much. I’m looking forward to The Sea and Snow. I know of Alba De Cespedes, whom I like very much as Forbidden Notebook was one of my top ten last year. So eager for June, Cathy!

      Delete
  4. AnonymousMay 21, 2024

    Summer is the time one lays aside the literary awards given by someone else and turns ones attention to the "good stuff" - the books one reads solely for the reason that one wants to.

    Who cares if they ever win, let alone are nominated for any awards. All you need are some people with interesting plans for their fellow man, their choice of tools to achieve those ends, and the authors ability to describe every detail.

    The plot? you may ask. It's man's inhumanity to man/revenge . And it keeps one coming back for more, every single time.

    Robert Parker was one of the greats. You are in for one excellent summer with Spenser and Hawk. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, it is such a delight to lay down any “required” reading for pure pleasure. I love the heavy tomes I pick up for awards, but I also love the entertainment which comes from reading as one’s heart leads.

      So glad to hear that you’re a fan of Spenser and Hawk as well! I have read all of them, some several times, but this time I’m going in order. It’s really fun to see when Paul Giacomin, Susan Silverman, and Tony Marcus are introduced. Also, I love the integrity of Spenser, and the portrayal of his relationships, as much as I do the mystery itself.

      Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  5. Ohhh what a fab looking list. Love the sound of Tasmania in particular.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, to Tasmania! Anything Italian, right? At least for me.😉

      Delete
    2. Ha! For me it's the Australian connection :-D

      Delete
  6. I hope to read Backyard Bird Chronicles and Long Island this summer, too. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m wondering if I should read Brooklyn before Long Island, as the story seems a continuation…and, I’ll probably have time since the hold is so long at our library for Long Island!

      Delete
  7. Great list, enjoy! Just added Amy Tan's book to my TBR, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m so glad that you found a book here to add to your list, Emma! I’m so looking forward to Paris in July 2024 with you this Summer!

      Delete
  8. Don’t you love the photo on the cover of The Postcard? Such a strong face with an enigmatic smile. I’ve also got a Banville lined up: Death in Summer. I think I read Moominsummer Madness last year but forgot to post my blog post. I’ve also read Paris to the Moon; perfect for Paris in July! Have a wonderful summer of reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read Paris to The Moon years and years ago, when it was first published, I think, and I loved it. It gives me joy to reread some of the books I’ve found meaningful, whereas some people don’t like to reread at all. But, that way I’m always ensured of a good experience. Anyway, the Moomin books rarely disappoint, do they not? I read Moominland Midwinter in January of 2023, so it’s only right to read them in the Summer now. ;)

      Delete