July 26, 2024

Down and Out in Paris and London by George Orwell

 


After ten days I managed to find a free quarter of an hour, and wrote to my friend B. in London, asking him if he could get me a job of some sort - anything, so long as it allowed more than five hours sleep. I was simply not equal to going on with a seventeen-hour day, though there are plenty of people who think nothing of it. When one is overworked, it is a good cure for self-pity to think of the thousands of people in Paris restaurants who work such hours, and will go on doing it, not for weeks, but for years. (p. 112)

It is a good cure for self pity for anyone to read Down and Out in Paris and London; revealing life in the early 1930’s when people everywhere were willing to work for anything. 

George Orwell does not tell how, or exactly why, he goes to Paris. But, he tells of his life there, going for days without food as he looks for a job of any sort. When the French find out he is not French, they are unwilling to hire him. When Russians opened a restaurant named Auberge de Jehan Cottard, the working conditions were worse than those he suffered under Hotel X working as a plongeur (dishwasher) with hard water and soft soap. Which wouldn’t lather. With an inch of fish heads and vegetable matter on the floor. With people scurrying, and yelling, and dropping food which may, or may not, be rinsed off before it is put on the plate.

This washing up was a thoroughly odious job - not hard, but boring and silly beyond words. It is dreadful to think that some people spend their whole decades at such an occupation. The woman whom I replaced was quite sixty years old, and she stood at the sink thirteen hours a day, six days a week, the year round; she was, in addition, horribly bullied by the waiters. (p. 69)

So I sat in an Adirondack chair at Centennial Beach, reading this book for both Paris in July and Reading Orwell 2024, most grateful for the jobs that I have had. (Not to mention the retirement I now enjoy!) Their onerous quality could never compare to that which I read described here, with courage and strength.

11 comments:

  1. Thanks for contributing to #ReadingOrwell24 I was hoping to read this one in July too but the bio of Eileen Orwell is taking me longer than I thought (such small print!!)

    I confess that working in a kitchen in a restaurant has never appeal to me, but washing up at home can be quite a meditative process with a nice window to look out as you do it :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve never been inclined to work at a restaurant either, Brona, just eat in one! As for washing up, I much prefer to do it by hand than use the dishwasher. Everything is so much shinier, and it is all out away so there is nothing to unload in the morning. Who wants to start out their day like that?!

      Delete
  2. As you say — Orwell’s account of living in extreme poverty is masterful and therefore amazingly painful to read! I reviewed it here:
    https://maefood.blogspot.com/2014/05/the-worst-kitchen-in-literature.html
    best, mae

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was quite struck by how he wrote without self pity! He was so matter of fact about it, which takes some doing in such dire situations. I suppose it “helped” a bit to be suffering with others; at least you weren’t totally alone.

      Delete
  3. I read this great Orwellian work for Paris in July 2016. Thanks to your elegant review I was able to bring it back to mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What kind words, Mel. This is the first Orwell book I’ve read, and I was quite taken with it. Now I want to know what all the signs meant during COVID, which said. “Make Orwell fiction again.” At least, they were all over our town in Illinois.

      Delete
  4. Definitely "a cure for self-pity". I really enjoyed this book, quite a different picture from the rosy image most people have of France

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh that is hard to fathom ... I think of that woman dishwasher age 60 standing there. Ugh. Orwell's descriptions seem quite eye-opening from then. Interesting reading. Glad you found this one. Enjoy the beach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting me here, and leaving a comment. This book is eye-opening from page one, and well worth the read even as it applies to today.

      Delete
  6. M, I have yet to read this Orwell, but have it on my shelf. Definitely sounds like one I need to move up a few pegs on my TBR list. Also, makes me grateful that I have not worked in a kitchen, although I always loved the idea of being a baker for some reason. I suppose that is the thing though, I like the idea, but I know I wouldn't like the reality of it. Hope you are enjoying these summer days which seem to be coming to a close earlier each year. Or at least the stores would have us believe that with all their Halloween displays out in full force. Happy reading, dear friend. xx

    ReplyDelete