September 24, 2024

Norway in November Sign Up Post


Word is getting around that I am hosting Norway in November this autumn. It comes from a great passion I have for Jon Fosse, but other Norwegian authors as well. I have recently finished Emily Forever by Maria Navarro Skaranger, and Kristin Lavransdattar Book I: The Wreath by Sigrid Undset, both outstanding books about young women, although the later is set in the 14th century, and the former is in the present time. They each had something to teach me…

In November I am planning on focusing on Jon Fosse, however, rereading Septology (for the third time) as it is so profound. If you choose to join us, which I hope you do, you need not focus on him.  Please choose any work originally written by a Norwegian author and tell us your thoughts. I look forward to reading about what you have chosen!

Leave your name and the post about your choice(s) here if you would like to participate:


9 comments:

  1. Congrats for the official launch. I'm thrilled to ne first here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emma, I am so thrilled to have you! Off to read your post.

      Delete
  2. Count me in not sure which books yet think I've good dozen Norwegian books unread to pick from

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We, Stu, I’m so happy! Glad to have the man who really kicked off my awareness of literature in translation participate in reading more with me. xo

      Delete
  3. I'll join in if I can find something. It's already Novellas in November and Nonfiction November and a few others, but I'd love to read more set in Norway. Off hand I can only think of Sixteen Trees of the Somme by Lars Mytting. I'll do a post soon and see what I can find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to have you, Lisa! Yes, I know this coincides with Nonfiction November and Novellas in November, but if you’re so inclined you are welcome to double dip. Some of the ship/explorer books will count as Nonfiction November, and several of Jon Fosse’s books would count for Novellas in November, such as Aliss by The Fire. Do as it suits you best, of course, but it would be wonderful to have you along.

      Delete
  4. I'm in for an Amundsen book - My Life as an Explorer - and at least the first book of Septology.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful choices, Tom. I’ve never read anything by Amundsen, and the books on exploration greatly intrigue me. I may have to add that, too. I think I will be reading Norwegian authors far past November…

      Delete
  5. I'm impressed you've finished those two books already. What did you think of Undset? I'm all over the place on which book I want to read so I'll hold off for now on saying. But I will take part in a Norwegian read! thx for hosting.

    ReplyDelete