September 8, 2024

Sunday Salon: Let’s Talk about Norway in November, Specifically Some Book Suggestions



I could recommend Japanese authors from now until Tuesday. But, Norwegian authors? Not so much. In fact, some whom I thought were Norwegian are actually Swedish. So clearly, the hostess has things to learn herself. 

I have been searching for some highly recommended books which I leave for you here, in pairs instead of single images as that will make the post a bit shorter. I hope you find something which appeals to you should you choose to join us this Norway In November. (Some of them apply for Nonfiction November or Novellas in November as well.)

Hunger by Knut Hamsun

Kristin Lavransdattar  by Sigrid Undset

A Doll’s House by Henrik Ibsen

The House with the Blind Glass Windows by Herbjorg Wassmo



The Bookseller of Kabul by Asne Seierstad 

Sophie’s World by Jostein Gaarder


Out Stealing Horses by Per Petterson

The South Pole by Roald Amundsen



The Kon-Tiki Expedition by Thor Heyerdahl

The Werewolf by Aksel Sandemose


The Birds by Tarjei Vesaas

Giants in the Earth by Ole Edvart Rolvaag 


The Other Name by Jon Fosse (I-II)

I Is Another by Jon Fosse (III-V)

A New Name by Jon Fosse (VI-VII)

(These three books comprise the volume entitled Septology. after which Jon Fosse won the Nobel Prize in Literature in 2023. I read them singly, as they were not all published when I began reading, and I recommend taking them slowly, one by one.)


Aliss At the Fire by Jon Fosse 

(perfect for Novellas In November)


A Shining by Jon Fosse


Trilogy by Jon Fosse

Scenes from a Childhood by Jon Fosse


Well, you can see that I have listed more books by Jon Fosse than any other, but that is because he has become one of my favorite authors. I have read The Other Name, I is Another, A New Name, Aliss At the Fire, and Scenes From a Childhood (which are short vignettes of the most piercing nature). I still look forward to reading Melancholy I-II and Trilogy, as well as A Shining. Obviously, there are so many more Norwegian authors to discover; I have only attempted to whet your appetite here, in the hopes that you will join us this November. A review site is soon to come…

I have linked this post with Sunday Salon, as this is what is uppermost in my mind today.


9 comments:

  1. I would love to join you for Norway in November. My husband is of Norwegian heritage. I have Hunger by Knut Hamsun and Kristin Lavransdattar by Sigrid Undset on my Classics Club list, and I am very interested in reading Jon Fosse.

    November is a busy month, with Nonfiction November and Novellas in November. There might also be a sci fi/fantasy reading event.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Deb, I’d be so delighted to have you join us! And, how interesting that your husband is of Norwegian heritage; I’m sure you know so much about Norway already! I can’t recommend Jon Fosse highly enough, and Kristin Lavransdattar is on my Classic Club list, too. But, I doubt we’d have time to read it all in November. If you wish to double dip Norway in November with either Nonfiction November and/or Novellas in November, it can be done. However, I’m not sure about Norwegian authors and sci-fi…😉

      Delete
  2. To the Amundsen and Heyerdahl books I would add a great predecessor, Fridtjof Nansen's Farthest North (1897), his account of an astouding Arctic expedition.

    Most amazingly, the later Antarctic expedition in the Amundsen book uses the same ship, the Fram, which has its own museum in Oslo, right next to the one that houses the Kon-Tiki.

    So happy I was able to visit those ships.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See, this is exactly why I so enjoy reading with you Tom; you always have much to add to the experience. Thank you for telling me about “Farthest North”, I will look for it straight away. How fantastic that you were able to see those ships!

      Delete
  3. That's a fantastic list and I am so glad you posted it. I am unfamilar with Norway's literature or books set there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do feel free to join us, Tina, if you’re so inclined.

      Delete
  4. This is a good list! And it gives me much to think about as we get closer to November. Thank goodness to Roald Amundsen ... not to mention Thor Heyerdahl. Two adventurers ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The adventure stories appeal to me as well! I love tales of courage and overcoming the elements, facing grave dangers…

      I am concerned the comments I leave on your blog are not getting to you; I can’t seem to find them when I look. (?)

      Delete
  5. How fun to see Giants in the Earth on your list! I read (and loved) that novel back in 1997. I also read Their Father's God and Peder Victorious, but didn't love them as I did Giants. Have fun with your November reading. I usually devote the month to nonfiction, and try to read from my current stacks, but I'll enjoy reading your posts about what you and the others read.

    ReplyDelete